Office of Teaching Evaluation and Assessment Research116 College Avenue
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
New Brunswick, NJ 08901 https://otear.rutgers.edu/
Phone: (848) 932-7466
Fax: (732) 932-1845
Available through May, 2021
Rutgers is piloting a classroom communication tool, BluePulse, beginning in Summer 2020 through Spring 2021. BluePulse allows instructors to collect anonymous feedback from students, and engage in two-way communication with those students while maintaining the student anonymity. BluePulse can be used for formative feedback, midcourse surveys, quick post-lecture check-ins, or a substitute for clicker systems.
Please keep in mind that during this pilot phase:
- Rosters are not loaded automatically. They should be fairly up-to-date, but please contact OTEAR if you need a manual roster refresh.
- BluePulse is only available through May 2021, at which point the university will make a determination about more permanent usage.
- Rutgers has not yet implemented the full Canvas, Sakai or Blackboard integration - however instructors may manually add the BluePulse link to any of those systems, and it will work as expected.
Quick Start for BluePulse
- Log in to BluePulse at https://rutgers.m.bluepulse.com
- Click “Add a Question” (in the right-hand column)
- Choose your question type and enter the text (note that “Commitment” questions cannot be anonymous )
- Click the “Send to…” search box, and choose your class.
- All the other settings are optional!
- Click “Preview and Send”
- Click “Publish”
- BluePulse will send email to your students, but the system works best if you communicate directly with them to ask them to complete the survey.
- Click “View Results” beneath your question to see the student responses. For “live” synchronous use, click the “Results” link again to include the latest student responses.
More information is available on the BluePulse Help page, and we will post additional information on our web site in the future.